"
We should not allow our personal values to erode, even if others think we are peculiar. "--President James E. Faust

andreaopfar. Powered by Blogger.

Blah, blah, blah....

...blogging rut. As always, I have a lot to say, but not necessarily in the mood to say it. :)
Last Thursday, we had Valentine's parties at the school. When I have been room mom in the past, I used to have mom's calling and begging to help with parties. In fact we had to kinda stagger them and say if you helped with Christmas (oh, I mean "Holiday," we must be politically correct) then someone else gets to help with Valentine's. In Parker's class, we had the room mom and me. There were only 3 moms in Liza's and 3 in Ty's. And it is the same 3 moms from the Holiday party. There are a couple of us who have multiple kids and party jump to try to help all. It is just different.
One thing I like is that each grade level has a lead room mom, and the room moms from that grade all get together and plan the party. They use the money budgeted to them from the donations at the beginning of the year (recommended $10 per child and then divided between 3 parties) and each class in the grade level has the same party, but in their own classrooms. It very effectively eliminates the competition between overzealous room moms who have a tendancy to overdo things. For instance, in Parker's class, the 4th grade room moms ordered a craft from Oriental Trading and all the 4th grade did the same craft. They all had a chocolate fountain and dipped fruit, pretzels and marshmallows. They all had the same punch, the same games and cookies. Socialism at it's best.
Anyway, here are some snapshots of the day:
Both of my goofy boys wore red shirts and red basketball shorts. How Valentiney!
The chocolate in the chocolate fountain went wax-y. I'm glad I was not in charge of it! The kids said it tasted GREAT anyway! They made cute fleece heart shaped pillows.
Liza's class made a cute tissue flower for "someone special" (Liza gave hers to Daddy).
I think that the sixth graders just ate the whole time. They did play a few games (guess how many heart candis are in the jar, and a form of charades), but at this point they all think that they are getting too old for elementary school...at least publicly. Inside, they all love it!

The 6th grade decided not to pass out Valentine's to each other this year! They are just too mature for that! :) T and his friend Nicholas are the tallest kids in their class.

I went on a scrapbooking weekend last weekend. I am overwhelmed at the amount of pictures I have taken, how far behind I have gotten, and how much I really don't remember about my babies and small children.
When I got home on Sunday night, my perfect children had cleaned their closets and Maris had dinner in the oven. I love my family.
See, too much crap. Overwhelming. It is a good thing I have a craft room to hide it all in.
While I was in Weatherford, I missed a tornado watch at home. But the most exciting thing I missed and I wish I had been here to see, was the drive-by shooting. Oh, it wasn't a drive-by, it was the golf ball size hail pounding on our windows. Thoughtful Maris put some in the freezer so I could see them. He knows I have wanted to see big giant hail. We lost power, and apparently the noise was quite terrifying. It did a lot of damage to cars that were out in driveways. Fortunately, ours was in the garage, and Maris' work car just got three dings.
And for my final thought of the day, here is what I have been craving, and therefore eating, a lot of:
Mmmmmm, salmon patties.

5 friends are talking:

Sarah February 19, 2008 at 10:05 AM  

salmon patties??? Are you pregnant, gross!!

Janie February 19, 2008 at 6:25 PM  

I have to say the idea kind of turned my stomach too - but I love crab cakes so if they are anything like them...
anyway the schools are much different here to me in the exact opposite of VA - At B's thanksgiving party there for an example I was one of four moms for the entire grade that showed up.

Jamie February 19, 2008 at 10:50 PM  

What a nice Hubby!! I bet you will love having the new Photoshop! Let me know if you have any questions! & Have fun!

Andrea February 20, 2008 at 6:57 AM  

Hi, Andrea! Thanks for your comment on my blog. I am in Arlington. You? Oh, and you went to Covered Bridge??? I've been there 4 times. I love that place! (In fact, there are 2 pictures of me on the wall in the crop room from opening weekend.)

I think we have a lot in common...

Haley February 21, 2008 at 2:53 PM  

I'll will be over at noon for those salmon patties.

Post a Comment

whatcha gotta say?

Quotables

"Other things may change us, but we start and end with family."

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard..." from Annie

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”

-Audrey Hepburn


Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.


"I am one of [Jesus Christ's] witnesses, and in a coming day I shall feel the nail marks in his hands and in his feet and shall wet his feet with my tears. But I shall not know any better then than I know now that he is God's Almighty Son, that he is our Savior and Redeemer, and that salvation comes in and through his atoning blood and in no other way."--Bruce R. McConkie, "The Purifying Power of Gethsemane"


Friends, lurkers and stalkers

Labels

Labels

Aliza (14) baseball (4) basketball (1) blogging (1) Bunco (1) cooking (2) dance (2) dogs (2) family (12) fears (1) field trip (4) football (9) Fourth of July (2) friends (14) fun (2) funny (8) gas (1) girlfriends (1) giveaways (1) Gratitude (1) Halloween (2) kids (16) Lake Ray Roberts (2) Maris (1) Me (18) mom (1) Mother's Day (1) My opinions (1) Nauvoo (7) Parker (19) pets (1) PTO (1) reading (2) recipes (1) school (19) science camp (1) scouts (7) softball (2) summer (19) swimming (3) Texas (8) Thanksgiving (1) TV (2) Twilight (1) Twilight Camp (3) Tyler (20) vacation (15) weather (1) Yellowstone (1)
"...we must be careful, as we seek to become more and more godlike, that we do not become discouraged and lose hope. Becoming Christlike is a lifetime pursuit and very often involves growth and change that is slow, almost imperceptible. The scriptures record remarkable accounts of men whose lives changed dramatically, in an instant... But we must be cautious as we discuss these remarkable examples. Though they are real and powerful, they are the exception more than the rule. For every Paul, for every Enos, and for every King Lamoni, there are hundreds and thousands of people who find the process of repentance much more subtle, much more imperceptible. Day by day they move closer to the Lord, little realizing they are building a godlike life. They live quiet lives of goodness, service, and commitment. They are like the Lamanites, who the Lord said "were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and theyknew it not." (3 Ne. 9:20; italics added.)"--Ezra Taft Benson, "A Mighty Changeof Heart"

  © If the crown fits...

Design by Emporium Digital via Blogspot templates