It's Official...
So today I went to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
I stood in line and watched one girl reduced to tears because she didn't have an official copy of her birth certificate. I watched as a man was told, "You got yourself in this predicament. This is your problem, not ours." (He had moved here last year and let his out of state registration on his car expire. When he went to register it here, they told him he had to have a valid Texas DL to register it, but you can't get a Texas DL until you have registered your vehicle.) So I very nervously approached the desk with my head down and presented my Texas car registration, my proof of insurance, my birth certificate, my social security card, and my old Utah DL. The lady behind the desk seemed very pleased with my preparation, made copies of everything, took my DL, made little checks next to everything, kept clarifying that my maiden name is Udy, (U-D-Y? Is that a d?) She had no problem with Opfar. Go figure. After making sure that I could read some letters and I knew the difference between red, yellow and green, signed my name and gave them my thumb prints, I was presented with an official temporary drivers license that is valid for 90 days, but depending on the backlog in Austin, I should get a real one in 2-3 weeks or maybe 6 weeks. When they took my picture, two ladies behind the counter said, "Oh, very nice picture." I don't know if that means that it really did look OK or if that was code for "look at the booger in her nose!"
I guess we'll see in 2-3 weeks or maybe up to 6 weeks depending on the backlog in Austin.
I stood in line and watched one girl reduced to tears because she didn't have an official copy of her birth certificate. I watched as a man was told, "You got yourself in this predicament. This is your problem, not ours." (He had moved here last year and let his out of state registration on his car expire. When he went to register it here, they told him he had to have a valid Texas DL to register it, but you can't get a Texas DL until you have registered your vehicle.) So I very nervously approached the desk with my head down and presented my Texas car registration, my proof of insurance, my birth certificate, my social security card, and my old Utah DL. The lady behind the desk seemed very pleased with my preparation, made copies of everything, took my DL, made little checks next to everything, kept clarifying that my maiden name is Udy, (U-D-Y? Is that a d?) She had no problem with Opfar. Go figure. After making sure that I could read some letters and I knew the difference between red, yellow and green, signed my name and gave them my thumb prints, I was presented with an official temporary drivers license that is valid for 90 days, but depending on the backlog in Austin, I should get a real one in 2-3 weeks or maybe 6 weeks. When they took my picture, two ladies behind the counter said, "Oh, very nice picture." I don't know if that means that it really did look OK or if that was code for "look at the booger in her nose!"
I guess we'll see in 2-3 weeks or maybe up to 6 weeks depending on the backlog in Austin.





6 friends are talking:
Yikes. I have let my car registration expire...
you are such a punk. i have been waiting around all day for you debunk your previous post and nothing. a post about car registration!!!! you're killing me.
I assure you, if I were actually expecting any number of babies, there would be much swearing and nashing of teeth, as well as a calm assurance that it must be meant to be...
Hey why am i not a blogging buddy? Have you made up Brandys blog?
Hey you can always move back and then you can see Kennedy all the time!!!!
Hey,
just wanted you to know that I still acknowledge the blogging world (truthfully, I just jumped onto your site before heading to bed...) but this post made me laugh. Udy- that IS unique!
Post a Comment