The River is Cresting...
Before a couple of weeks ago, I had never seen the Mississippi River. It is so big it almost looks like a lake. As we drove down the little winding road to Nauvoo from Hamilton after we crossed the Mississippi from Keokuk, I looked at the little houses along the river and wondered what happened to those homes when the river flooded. I found a blog that is written by a woman in Nauvoo and she has posted pictures of the river as it floods over into the area. These pictures will probably be of no interest to anyone but my mom, who was just there with us, but i posted some of mine next to some of hers so you could get an idea. If you want to check out her blog, click here.
The 1st two pictures are of the bridge over the river that we crossed each day. That bridge is now closed to one lane and the water is on it.
Here is the picture of the Mississippi where the Saints crossed. There is a statue of Brigham and Joseph by it. I took pic's of the statue looking the other way, but not from far back.
Here is her picture of that same place...the road is completely submerged.


And here is Parley Street from her blog. That fence is 4 feet high.
Fortunately for Nauvoo, most of the land is higher and on ridges. From the info I have been able to find, the only structures that are in danger are in the Joseph Smith historic section. In particular the Nauvoo House, but they think they have it sandbagged pretty good. I hope that Keokuk is doing well, also!
And here is Parley Street from her blog. That fence is 4 feet high.





1 friends are talking:
WOW!
Post a Comment