"
We should not allow our personal values to erode, even if others think we are peculiar. "--President James E. Faust

andreaopfar. Powered by Blogger.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Yesterday I took Tyler to school and as I pulled out of the middle school, I had a choice. Not a big choice, very minor actually. If I take a right I will go up through Prosper on FM 1461, if I take a left, I will go down to University. Both ways will get me home, University might be a minute or two faster. Since I wanted to get home and finish up a thing or two before meeting Jenn (Happy Birthday) and some friends for breakfast, I chose left, University. Maris had taken my car in for an oil change and a long overdue cleaning, so I had his work car, which happened to be an H2. The speed limit on University is 60 mph, and there are several stop lights along the way. As I approached Stonebridge, the light turned yellow and the car in front of me went through. I was far enough behind him that there was no way that I was going to make it through, so I stopped. Then I felt a bump. The car behind me didn't stop. Fortunately, no one was injured, but his car (a 2008 Cadillac STS) was smushed. His hood was under the back of the truck. So here is my H2 plug:

It's a tank. There is a reason they use them in the military. It also convinced me that when you are behind the wheel of one, you have a huge responsibility because of the damage you could do if you were the one doing the hitting.

(Those aren't even scratches, they rubbed right off.)

It also made me think about how minor little things that we do or don't do can have a big effect on what happens next. There are no little decisions. I was also grateful when I was standing on University and Stonebridge waiting for the police to come, that I had decided to comb my hair, put on makeup, wear a bra and get dressed instead of going over in my jammies!
PS, when I dropped Tyler off today, I chose to turn right...

Tyler plays on Thursday nights now, and he got to be involved in the coin toss again.

He is getting so tall. He can almost look me straight in the eye, and I am not short. It is funny to me to see him in comparison to others out on the field. (he's 83).

We won 30-14. They are doing really well this year!
PPS. How 'bout them Utes?? :o)
Posted by Picasa

13 friends are talking:

Gary Church October 3, 2008 at 11:23 AM  

That jib jab was awesome ... Ryan was laughing hysterically ... he even clapped at the end. I love that Barrack was riding a unicorn! Hilarious!!

Anonymous,  October 3, 2008 at 12:12 PM  

Hummers rock! Glad you're ok and walked away injury free (if you're sore at all, you know where to go ;)

Lisa October 3, 2008 at 1:25 PM  

I am so glad you are ok!

Dan + Laurie Udy October 3, 2008 at 8:03 PM  

Hey did you get my email with my address?

Anonymous,  October 3, 2008 at 11:29 PM  

Enough about the Hummer...what about the dork behind you who didn't stop? What was he (she?) thinking?...that you were just going to plow through the red light? I hate bad drivers!

My name is Andrea October 4, 2008 at 7:41 AM  

It was an honest mistake, he was an older gentleman and he was so sweet. I felt bad for him...he was very nice. It was his first accident ever, he was not a bad driver.

Tiff Gatten October 4, 2008 at 10:52 AM  

*smile* that's my worst fear evey day when I take Corb to school in my PJ's. Glad you are ok.

My boys ar 6'2" and 6'1" and still growing. Rick is 5' 9 1/2" (can't forget the 1/2) and I'm 5'6" they call us their dwarf parents. It is so strange to look up and discipline.

emily October 4, 2008 at 7:42 PM  

so glad that you are o.k!

Lauren in GA October 4, 2008 at 8:07 PM  

I'm glad you are okay. Thanks for the food for thought about the decisions we make.

ChellaJ [Rachelle] October 4, 2008 at 10:21 PM  

I hit a lady like that when I was 16. She didn't have a hummer but thank goodness it didn't damage her car. Dang it for the cute boy at the gas station. I thought my foot was on the break and opps...just a little nudge. I didn't tell my dad [it was his car] until he brought it up a few years later.

It's crazy that all those little decisions, change our path forever.

Come to Utah and let's go to a Utes game! Missin' ya'll.

Bree October 5, 2008 at 11:31 PM  

SCARY ANDREA! I am so glad that you were in Indestructo! Too bad for the nerd who hit you. You'd think he'd be a little more careful driving such a fancy car as he was!

Bree October 5, 2008 at 11:32 PM  

OK, that wasn't very nice of me. I have often been the nerd (4 times to be exact...) so I take that back. Just hope he has a great insurance policy.

Lisa October 8, 2008 at 5:30 PM  

I am not even going to share my car accident that I had in Logan, Utah during Javier's bike race! My fault! I laughed outloud when I read your post about making the right decision that morning. Angelica stopped and asked me why I was laughing. I told her she will laugh when she is a mom running her kids to school every morning!

Post a Comment

whatcha gotta say?

Quotables

"Other things may change us, but we start and end with family."

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard..." from Annie

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”

-Audrey Hepburn


Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.


"I am one of [Jesus Christ's] witnesses, and in a coming day I shall feel the nail marks in his hands and in his feet and shall wet his feet with my tears. But I shall not know any better then than I know now that he is God's Almighty Son, that he is our Savior and Redeemer, and that salvation comes in and through his atoning blood and in no other way."--Bruce R. McConkie, "The Purifying Power of Gethsemane"


Friends, lurkers and stalkers

Labels

Labels

Aliza (14) baseball (4) basketball (1) blogging (1) Bunco (1) cooking (2) dance (2) dogs (2) family (12) fears (1) field trip (4) football (9) Fourth of July (2) friends (14) fun (2) funny (8) gas (1) girlfriends (1) giveaways (1) Gratitude (1) Halloween (2) kids (16) Lake Ray Roberts (2) Maris (1) Me (18) mom (1) Mother's Day (1) My opinions (1) Nauvoo (7) Parker (19) pets (1) PTO (1) reading (2) recipes (1) school (19) science camp (1) scouts (7) softball (2) summer (19) swimming (3) Texas (8) Thanksgiving (1) TV (2) Twilight (1) Twilight Camp (3) Tyler (20) vacation (15) weather (1) Yellowstone (1)
"...we must be careful, as we seek to become more and more godlike, that we do not become discouraged and lose hope. Becoming Christlike is a lifetime pursuit and very often involves growth and change that is slow, almost imperceptible. The scriptures record remarkable accounts of men whose lives changed dramatically, in an instant... But we must be cautious as we discuss these remarkable examples. Though they are real and powerful, they are the exception more than the rule. For every Paul, for every Enos, and for every King Lamoni, there are hundreds and thousands of people who find the process of repentance much more subtle, much more imperceptible. Day by day they move closer to the Lord, little realizing they are building a godlike life. They live quiet lives of goodness, service, and commitment. They are like the Lamanites, who the Lord said "were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and theyknew it not." (3 Ne. 9:20; italics added.)"--Ezra Taft Benson, "A Mighty Changeof Heart"

  © If the crown fits...

Design by Emporium Digital via Blogspot templates