It's not easy being green.
In honor of Earth Week, I have a fabulous "recycle, reuse, re-whatever" project.
OK, I admit I did not go in search of something to do for Earth Week.
I already fill up my recycle bin every week, and try to remember to turn off the water when I brush my teeth.
But for YEARS, I have been saving t-shirts. Hording them. I have shirts dating back nearly 20 years. When we got ready to move, Maris wanted me to throw them out, and I refused.
I also have my kids old t-shirts. But not just any shirts. I save the ones that have a memory.
Because I am a very visual-memory person.
I have been saving them for one purpose.
To make a memory quilt.
Or two.
Truthfully, I could keep us warm for years with all my t-shirts.
But last year, I got out a shirt and cut it and decided the shirts just may stay in boxes forever, because truthfully I couldn't figure out how I was going to do it.
Then, the other day I went to Michael's to buy some thread and a sewing machine needle (I'll show you that project later), and I saw this:
Instructions.So I dug the boxes of t-shirts out and spent the afternoon cutting, and measuring and ironing...
I plan on having at least 4 of them pieced and sewn together before I go to my mom's house this summer. She has a quilting machine, and we can put the back on them and quilt them there.
I am beyond excited and thrilled.
It was hard for me to make the first cut into the first shirt, but as it actually started to come together, it became more and more fun.
I can't wait to get going on the other kid's blankets and on mine...








11 friends are talking:
Way to be green. I LOVE it! I just stored it away in my memory bank for Isaac!
That is REALLY COOL! See I would have to pay someone to do that for my boys b/c I do not sew...and I don't plan to! But I am going to start saving their team shirts and stuff for this!
very very cool!!! I saved a bunch for this purpose but then got rid of some because they were driving me crazy and since my kids are not the athletic team type... but awesome nonetheless!
I love T Shirt quilts! They make great memories. My mother in law has a box of my husbands shirts, maybe I'll get around to doing his one day! My mom started a quilting group down in Houston and T Shirt Quilts are one of the fave things for everyone right now! I can't wait to see everyone's finished quilts!
That looks so cool, can't wait to see the others!
That is AWESOME! Definitely going to remember this for my boys someday!
I LOVE this! Great job Mrs. Creative! I really need to remember this as well someday! Great idea!
That is seriously such a great project!!!! I love that it is so meaningful!!
That is so awesome! I loooove it.
This is adorable. My kid wouldn't even have enough jersey's to make a pillow case. :(
so if i get my quilt put together, and agree to go with you, will she help me quilt mine too???? we went over the budget last night and were wondering how we are going to fit the trip in, i think that i'll do whatever it takes to make it work if i know i would get my quilt finished :D yours is adorable!!!
Post a Comment