"
We should not allow our personal values to erode, even if others think we are peculiar. "--President James E. Faust

andreaopfar. Powered by Blogger.

Catching up is hard to do...

My months were just going along, busy, but with relatively few glitches in the schedule, until the rainy season hit. Now, I'm not complaining, for a couple of reasons.
One, we need the rain. Like y'all need the snow in the mountains all winter, we need to fill up our lakes, 'cuz they aren't afraid to put us on water restrictions here. And if you get caught watering your lawn on a non-watering day, the fines START OUT in the THOUSANDS.
Two, I love the rainstorms here. Incredible. I love how cozy my home feels when the dark clouds hover and water dumps from the sky. I love the sound of the cracking thunder and the way the whole sky lights up with the lightening. I love the way water runs down the street like a river and empties into the large gutters. It is beautiful, unlike anything I have ever experienced. I love making homemade chicken noodle soup, my kids all safe at home with me, while the storm rages around us. And I love the clean, bright feeling when it is over.


However, now that it is over, the softball and baseball makeup games are jumping all at once on top of us. I'm not able to go and sit and enjoy, I've had to count on our wonderful friends to help me take kids to games and cheer them on while I take my turn at another game...
We have found a few peaceful evenings here and there to enjoy some time at the pool with the neighbors...


Liza decided last week that she wanted 4 inches cut off her hair. I was afraid that it was a phase and that when it was done she would regret it...


...but her hair was getting TOO long and the split ends needed to be taken off.


So we took a trip to Great Clips, which, by the way is not so cheap when 2 of your children get charged $14.00 for adult haircuts...and got her hair cut. The guy who did it did a great job, her hair is adorable and very pretty. And she is happy!


The student council took their annual field trip. This year they dropped pet food off at the SPCA and then we headed to Plano to Thunderbird Roller Rink where they spent an afternoon on good old-fashioned four wheel skates. Most of the kids struggled with them, and Parker hated them, so he traded them in for some roller-blades, and showed off his mad skating skills! They had a race with the other 3 fastest 5th graders, and Parker blew them away. He did have an unfair advantage since he played hockey for 4 years, but still...



Texas road kill rules:
Armadillos, bunnies, possums, coyotes, skunks...they are all fair game. If they are in the road, they might just end up among the un-living.
But TURTLES? If a turtle is crossing the road, you stop, in the middle of the road, and move it. Make sure you put it on the side of the road it was heading towards. No one will question why you are stopped, in the middle of the road. No one will honk. Just make sure the little guy is safe...

Parker and Tyler are growing...
Her is a picture of my hand next to Parker's hand:



And here is my hand next to Tyler's:


Liza got to try her hand at pitching...


She loves it..


It's hard...takes concentration and lots of practice...



And your daily Texas funny...
Beer barns make me laugh.
They are big barns that you DRIVE THROUGH and pick out your beer...
Not that we are encouraging driving while intoxicated...

I don't know why I think these are so funny to see. I just do.


Yesterday was Field Day at the elementary school. Each grade gets their own color of t-shirt, and the school staff is in charge, not the PTO, yay!!


The 5th grade had orange shirts. So of course Parker wore ORANGE SHORTS. I said, "You are not wearing that..." and he said, "Yes I am!"


Whatever.

The kids take sharpies and all their friends sign their shirts...kindof a fun thing to do!


I've been doing a lot of preparing for summer...Parker and Aliza are going to my mom's house on June 6th, and Tyler and I will be doing the "camp thing" for June.

First, I have Girl's Camp on June 9th. I am excited, and yet a little nervous. It will be my first experience camping in Texas. Thankfully it will be in early June and hopefully not 100 degrees yet. I am praying that the chiggers, snakes, spiders, and big giant Texas bugs in general are at a minimum, or I might freak.

The next week Tyler is going to EFY in Denton. He gets to go with his buddy Austin, and I am so excited for him. The theme this year is "Be thou an example of the believers..." Then he'll be home for a week and then off to Scout Camp, where he is hoping to get 6 Merit Badges completed, maybe 7, depending on class availability. As soon as camp is over, he and I are going to brave the 23 hours in the car to Idaho to spend July.

Parker and Aliza get to do their own "camping" with Papa, as they head out to Martin's Cove in Wyoming on Trek. They are both really excited for it! Hopefully they will also get a greater appreciation for our Pioneer ancestor's and the sacrifices they made to get west...

I am also feeling a bit nostalgic about the end of the school year...I am always a little sad to see the year end. We have always been blessed with such fantastic teachers who always make such a big difference in their lives, I hate to see that end. I also am a little sad that Liza will be my only baby in elementary school next year. Parker and Tyler will both be in the Middle School. T will be in EIGHTH GRADE. Argh. Parker is thrilled to be going to the MS. He can hardly wait until the next year when he can participate in MS sports...

I can also see the toll that MS has taken on Tyler, he has worked so hard this year, they expect a lot out of these kiddos. He has had 4 Pre-AP classes and is taking 5 next year, as well as being on the Broadcast Team. He is done...they have final semester exams this week, and the kids have to go to school on Saturday to make up for one of our ice days earlier in the year.

We are all ready for summer...Are you?? :o)

8 friends are talking:

The Moose May 23, 2009 at 3:23 PM  

I loved EVERY picture, EVERY word, and BOTH of the hand photos (they made me a bit weepy) ... your blog posts are always worth the wait!

Anonymous,  May 23, 2009 at 7:46 PM  

LOVE all the pictures, Andrea. Nice update. And I agree, it was worth the wait.

Oh, and you know the Jett's are ready for the summer! I dread July though. Just tell your "hood" girls that I will be happy to take your place while you're gone. :)

ChellaJ [Rachelle] May 23, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

Cute hair cut and Aliza looks like a natural at pitching. I love the picture at the swimming pool...the sky looks awesome.

Save the turtles, save the world.

Yay for summer!!

Trisha May 24, 2009 at 12:00 AM  

Andrea you guys just sound like you are doing so good and having some real fun! I am envious of you! What fun plans for the summer too!

Tiff Gatten May 24, 2009 at 2:48 PM  

Loved the rain storm while I read. We had a good storm last night. I'm so glad I read your blog. I am reminded about things I should care more about, and the things I take too much for granted, so thank you.

I wish we had a neighborhood pool like you. It looks like so much fun. I hope you guys have a great summer, and the BIG BUGS of Texas don't eat you while you camp. :)

Juli May 24, 2009 at 6:28 PM  

OK, I think that I almost always say something about Aliza when I comment, but she is just so dang cute! Talk about the all american girl!

Amber Hooten May 25, 2009 at 4:27 PM  

After reading your post I definitely have to say I have missed reading posts from you! I LOVE softball and LOVED pitching! I personally think pitching and first base are the greatest positions ever! Your summer sounds as busy as mine! Well at least June is busy so far. Sorry I didn't give you a call about having girls come to help clean at the house. It was a disaster and probably better that I just did it myself. I should have called though. I did order some aprons from Lucy. I will send you my address on facebook if you wouldn't mind giving it to her so she can send me those when she is finished with it! Have fun busy mom!

Becky May 26, 2009 at 8:17 AM  

Our neighbors are down at Martin's Cove until October. They are on a mission there. Hope your summer is a fun one!

Post a Comment

whatcha gotta say?

Quotables

"Other things may change us, but we start and end with family."

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard..." from Annie

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”

-Audrey Hepburn


Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.


"I am one of [Jesus Christ's] witnesses, and in a coming day I shall feel the nail marks in his hands and in his feet and shall wet his feet with my tears. But I shall not know any better then than I know now that he is God's Almighty Son, that he is our Savior and Redeemer, and that salvation comes in and through his atoning blood and in no other way."--Bruce R. McConkie, "The Purifying Power of Gethsemane"


Friends, lurkers and stalkers

Labels

Labels

Aliza (14) baseball (4) basketball (1) blogging (1) Bunco (1) cooking (2) dance (2) dogs (2) family (12) fears (1) field trip (4) football (9) Fourth of July (2) friends (14) fun (2) funny (8) gas (1) girlfriends (1) giveaways (1) Gratitude (1) Halloween (2) kids (16) Lake Ray Roberts (2) Maris (1) Me (18) mom (1) Mother's Day (1) My opinions (1) Nauvoo (7) Parker (19) pets (1) PTO (1) reading (2) recipes (1) school (19) science camp (1) scouts (7) softball (2) summer (19) swimming (3) Texas (8) Thanksgiving (1) TV (2) Twilight (1) Twilight Camp (3) Tyler (20) vacation (15) weather (1) Yellowstone (1)
"...we must be careful, as we seek to become more and more godlike, that we do not become discouraged and lose hope. Becoming Christlike is a lifetime pursuit and very often involves growth and change that is slow, almost imperceptible. The scriptures record remarkable accounts of men whose lives changed dramatically, in an instant... But we must be cautious as we discuss these remarkable examples. Though they are real and powerful, they are the exception more than the rule. For every Paul, for every Enos, and for every King Lamoni, there are hundreds and thousands of people who find the process of repentance much more subtle, much more imperceptible. Day by day they move closer to the Lord, little realizing they are building a godlike life. They live quiet lives of goodness, service, and commitment. They are like the Lamanites, who the Lord said "were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and theyknew it not." (3 Ne. 9:20; italics added.)"--Ezra Taft Benson, "A Mighty Changeof Heart"

  © If the crown fits...

Design by Emporium Digital via Blogspot templates