"
We should not allow our personal values to erode, even if others think we are peculiar. "--President James E. Faust

andreaopfar. Powered by Blogger.

Better than anywhere else.

In keeping with the "Texas is better than everywhere else" theme of this week, last night the 4th grade performed at the PTO meeting. Inviting the music classes to perform is a good way to trick people into attending PTO meetings. The theme for the evening was Texas. They sang 4 songs about Texas, including "Yellow Rose of Texas" and "Texas, Our Texas." The kids all dressed up in western wear and they had kids portraying Sam Houston, and a Texas ranger, a Texas cowboy, and to throw in some humor, a Texas Ranger (baseball player) and a Dallas Cowboy (football player). Parker thought the whole dialog was hilarious!
Here is my darling boy posing by the fall decoration in the front hall of the school.
And, sorry for the darkness, the flash makes everything funny in auditoriums, here he is during the performance.

In the mornings at school, the kids pledge allegiance to the Texas flag and the state of Texas. I asked Parker if you pledge allegiance to Texas, and then you move out of state, are you still more concerned about Texas than anywhere else, or do you move your loyalties to your new state? And he answered, "If you move, I guess you are just betraying Texas." Oh.

If there is still any doubt that Texas is the boldest and the grandest, read the words to our state song. They wouldn't sing it if it weren't true!

"Texas, Our Texas"
Texas, Our Texas! all hail the mighty State!

Texas, Our Texas! so wonderful so great!
Boldest and grandest, withstanding ev'ry test
O Empire wide and glorious, you stand supremely blest.
(chorus)
Texas, O Texas! your freeborn single star,

Sends out its radiance to nations near and far,
Emblem of Freedom! it set our hearts aglow,
With thoughts of San Jacinto and glorious Alamo.
(chorus)
Texas, dear Texas! from tyrant grip now free,

Shines forth in splendor, your star of destiny!
Mother of heroes, we come your children true,
Proclaiming our allegiance, our faith, our love for you.
Chorus
God bless you Texas! And keep you brave and strong,

That you may grow in power and worth, throughout the ages long.
God bless you Texas! And keep you brave and strong,
That you may grow in power and worth, throughout the ages long.

6 friends are talking:

Gary Church November 14, 2007 at 2:18 PM  

Seriously, I know we all sound like freakazoids ... it's something you can't possibly understand until you live here. Not even visiting will do. And it was something that I didn't understand until moving out of the state for the first time when I was 12. We came back when I was 14, but I swear, those two years will always be the longest years of my life. I went through Texas withdrawls. No lie.

Gary Church November 14, 2007 at 2:19 PM  

I just want to know, did they sing "Deep in the Heart of Texas"? If not, your night was not complete.

My name is Andrea November 14, 2007 at 2:32 PM  

I can't remember, I'll ask Parker. I just remember "singing singing singing TEXAS singing singing words TEXAS yada yada yada TEXAS." And I remember the Yellow Rose of Texas and boldest and grandest and TEXAS. I was all quite overwhelming. :)

Nae November 14, 2007 at 3:00 PM  

Hi Andrea! This is Charnae in SLC (Maris and Anny's buddy from the OK corral!)I'm loving your blog! And your Texas commentary this week. Matt served his mission in Texas and has had a good laugh! Here's to Texas! (I'm glad you're enjoying it.) Enjoy your warm winter ....

Adri November 14, 2007 at 3:14 PM  

Talk about indoctrination!!! :)

My name is Andrea November 14, 2007 at 3:36 PM  

Janette, Yes. THey did sing Deep in the Heart of Texas (the stars at night are big and bright...) So there ya have it! Andrea

Post a Comment

whatcha gotta say?

Quotables

"Other things may change us, but we start and end with family."

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard..." from Annie

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”

-Audrey Hepburn


Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.


"I am one of [Jesus Christ's] witnesses, and in a coming day I shall feel the nail marks in his hands and in his feet and shall wet his feet with my tears. But I shall not know any better then than I know now that he is God's Almighty Son, that he is our Savior and Redeemer, and that salvation comes in and through his atoning blood and in no other way."--Bruce R. McConkie, "The Purifying Power of Gethsemane"


Friends, lurkers and stalkers

Labels

Labels

Aliza (14) baseball (4) basketball (1) blogging (1) Bunco (1) cooking (2) dance (2) dogs (2) family (12) fears (1) field trip (4) football (9) Fourth of July (2) friends (14) fun (2) funny (8) gas (1) girlfriends (1) giveaways (1) Gratitude (1) Halloween (2) kids (16) Lake Ray Roberts (2) Maris (1) Me (18) mom (1) Mother's Day (1) My opinions (1) Nauvoo (7) Parker (19) pets (1) PTO (1) reading (2) recipes (1) school (19) science camp (1) scouts (7) softball (2) summer (19) swimming (3) Texas (8) Thanksgiving (1) TV (2) Twilight (1) Twilight Camp (3) Tyler (20) vacation (15) weather (1) Yellowstone (1)
"...we must be careful, as we seek to become more and more godlike, that we do not become discouraged and lose hope. Becoming Christlike is a lifetime pursuit and very often involves growth and change that is slow, almost imperceptible. The scriptures record remarkable accounts of men whose lives changed dramatically, in an instant... But we must be cautious as we discuss these remarkable examples. Though they are real and powerful, they are the exception more than the rule. For every Paul, for every Enos, and for every King Lamoni, there are hundreds and thousands of people who find the process of repentance much more subtle, much more imperceptible. Day by day they move closer to the Lord, little realizing they are building a godlike life. They live quiet lives of goodness, service, and commitment. They are like the Lamanites, who the Lord said "were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and theyknew it not." (3 Ne. 9:20; italics added.)"--Ezra Taft Benson, "A Mighty Changeof Heart"

  © If the crown fits...

Design by Emporium Digital via Blogspot templates