We totally gave it our best shot. Last night by 9 pm Aliza had an entire head of sponge curlers and her hair was coated with a gel product that promised "hard, crunchy curls" on the label. She managed to situate herself on the pillow so that she hardly had any that even came loose during sleep.
She went outside and rode her bike this morning with curlers in her hair. At about noon, we started to take them out. 15 hours in sponge curlers ought to do the job, right? Wrong. She actually had hair that was still wet.
So we put that hair back into smaller sections and let it sit for another hour. Then I blow dried them with the heat on high in an attempt to set it.
She was sorely disappointed in the outcome. She said she felt like a 3-year old, with the loose ringlets and the purple ribbon in her hair. And she didn't like that it was "fluffy." I had to show her the note that said, "wear hair down, big, fluffy and curly." Yes, they used the word fluffy. Within an hour, most of the curl in her hair was a mere wave, this is as curly as we get, and we tried!
She is much better at putting on her mascara than I am...
She did great at the recital. The boys hated going as usual, but were very nice to tell her she did a great job. I think that sitting through a one-hour performance twice a year is the least they can do after all of the countless baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer and football games she has watched over the course of her lifetime! BTW, what is up with all of these itsy bitsy girls...Aliza hates being tall already. I wish that she could see what a darling little body she has and embrace her height! I told her that I was always tall too, and that one day, all the short girls are going to be envious of her! Sorry, short girls, but you have no idea how painful it is to hover over everyone and feel gangly and awkward.
So, we don't have to worry about big-fluffy-curly hair again until June...lesson learned.
3 friends are talking:
Okay, you made me cry talking about Aliza's body. It's so hard to be a girl. I was always the smallest, the shortest ... the weakling. Until I was in 6th grade and an Asian girl named Chow (poor thing) moved into my class, I was THE shortest girl. It's where I get my nickname of "peanut" from. And you know what? I HATED it!! I couldn't make a basketball, EVER, to save my life. Everyone laughed at me in PE because I was too small to do most of the stuff. I couldn't reach from one monkey bar to the other ... bla bla bla. I couldn't ride rides at amusement parks, etc. I, truly, hated it. And when I had to look up to all my friends, I , get this, felt like a short blob ... I was maybe 50 pounds in 4th grade and I thought I was FAT! hahahhahaha. It is so hard to be a girl.
Aliza is beautiful! I love her freckles, her thick red hair, her tallness, her LONG legs (punk!) ... she's simply adorable. Tell her I said so!!
How can we teach our daughters to love themselves and break this terrible cycle? I have a mother- in-law who has always been tall and is now almost 60 and still has issues with it. I have a sister that is 5'10" and struggled through high school and has just now started to feel comfortable with her body. I wish there was a way to put an end to this. Unfortunately, no matter who you are, if you live in an industrialized nation you will face this challenge everywhere. We have done it to ourselves, with the help of satan.
Just love everyone, including ourselves, for who Heavenly Father made us.
She gets that from me...Madison & I can not get our hair to be curly. Even leaving Madison's hair in sponge curlers for 29 hours one time...her hair was still damp and so we re-wrapped it and 6 hours later got out the hair dryer and she had curls for about 1 hour. Then she had long ringlet/waves. All of her clogging friends had BIG curly hair. You might have to buy that fake hair. That's what I did. She is beautiful and so talented.
Post a Comment