Make it Stop. Do you hear me??
It is becoming increasingly evident that despite my protests Tyler is insisting on growing up. Let me make this crystal clear, he is doing this against my will. And I am not happy.
Tyler at the Hafen's on Saturday night after Priesthood General Conference. Torn between childhood and his teens, he sits in his Sunday best getting ready to play Rock Star on the PlayStation.Let the evidence speak for itself:
1. Upon moving to Texas 10 months ago, T was wearing a size 6 1/2 shoe and his size 12 pants were still a little big. His size Youth XL t-shirts fit, but he felt a little better in an Adult small.
2. I registered him in the 6th grade at the elementary school.
3. He attended 11-year old scouts. Never is an 11 year old allowed to go on a camp out without a parent there.
4. He wore the same pair of cleats for 2 seasons...size 6.
5. Last month, I bought him a new pair of cleats. Size 9.
6. Two days ago, we had to buy him a new pair. Size 10.
7. Last week, I purchased him a pair of size 28 shorts in the men's department for him to "grow into." They fit. And if he grows 1/4 of an inch, the size 14 shorts I got him at the same time are not going to fit.
8. He is most definitely wearing an adult size small or medium t-shirt.
9. Our scout leader says that he is old enough to go on a 6-day scout camp 2 1/2 hours away in June. He said he would make sure he doesn't sneak off and get any tattoos.
10. The final straw? Last night, I attended a parents' meeting to talk about course selection for the Middle School 7th graders. They showed us a layout of the new Middle School, with a 2-story 7th and 8th grade learning wing. They talked about what courses they needed to take now to make sure that their pre-requisites for High School are met if they plan on taking AP classes or going into engineering or pre-med in college. They talked about gym clothes and 7:15 am extracurricular practices. They talked about strength training and agility classes (weight lifting? What?). My child is going to shower at the school? They talked about having 8 periods a day, and Broadcast Journalism.
I came home with a headache.
Pinch me and make this nightmare end.





7 friends are talking:
My heart goes out to you. Although, I am not facing the teenage years any time soon, my baby is growing up way too fast. Is there anyway to make it last longer???? Definitely bittersweet.
Dude. They mentioned 'engineering' and 'pre-med' ... I'd have burst into tears on the spot. I'm not going to handle the whole 'growing up' thing very well. Most moms love when their kids start talking ... it still brings me to tears when Ryan says new words that only a mother could understand. I'm totally feelin' for you here!
No - You stop. YOu're scaring me. If this is happening to your son, then it's going to happen to mine next.
It seems like babies change daily. Then middle childhood changes are so gradual. Then BAM!! Our kids are trying to be grown up. When does it happen? I swear that the days are long, but the months fly.
I LOVE your family photo at the top of the blog. Very cool.
AAAHHHHH!!!! those are the exact things I am afraid of!!!! I love the age of 4....If I could I would keep P at this age for AT LEAST a few more years!!!!!
In Dan's H.S. their class offerings are like at BYU! Seriously, every time I see the programs they can "graduate in" (teacher certification program in H.S!) and the courses they can take, like sports broadcasting and computer animation, I about die! School sure has changed...and these kids are almost FORCED to grow up too fast. That is just my opinion though! :)
You have just made me depressed today. Thanks. :)
Why dont you buy some from china. That is where i am getting Kennedys shoes. They have everything. NIKE, Gucci.......
Post a Comment