Thursday
Carthage, Illinois
We started Thursday in Carthage.
Climbing the stairs to the 2nd floor.
I love that my boys took off their hats, because it truly was a sacred place.
This is the cell upstairs, but since it was so hot, the jailer and his wife let Joseph and Hyrum Smith, Willard Richards and John Taylor sleep next door in the master bedroom while they slept downstairs.
After the mob shot and killed Hyrum and Joseph, they ran downstairs to make sure Joseph was dead. Willard brought John Talyor into the cell room and hid him under the mattress in case the mob returned. The weight of the mattress stopped John Taylor's bleeding and subsequently saved his life.
Being in the room where Joseph was killed was a very moving experience.
This was my favorite place we visited on our trip.
Back in Nauvoo....
Thanks, Grandma and Papa for sharing your Nauvoo experience with us. It was one we will never forget.





4 friends are talking:
Looks like a wonderful time!
So fun! I've never been to the church sites before...but I can't wait to go now! :)
Looks very interesting & lots of good pics!
Great pictures.
I decided to go private. If you want an invite have Heidi email me your email address.
Meanwhile I'll keep checking out your blog and happenings!
Post a Comment