"
We should not allow our personal values to erode, even if others think we are peculiar. "--President James E. Faust

andreaopfar. Powered by Blogger.

Poor Man's Pig

Monday afternoon I went outside and noticed that it looked like Maris had aerated my flowers and bushes out front. I was very impressed, because I hadn't even asked him if he would do that for me. He knows I hate the way the Bermuda grass grows into the berm but there really isn't a way to control it other than digging it out every few weeks. Upon closer examination, I started feeling a little annoyed. The aeration was very uneven and looked like it had been done quickly and haphazardly. The Bermuda grass was still there and he hadn't even attempted to pull it out or to make the bark look good:
Then I noticed the holes. Why would he leave big holes there? I began to realize that Maris hadn't been doing yard work, but something had been.

I got out the hoe and evened everything out and filled the holes and called Maris to discuss the possibilities. We have had tons of bunnies in our yard (as evidenced by their pellets in the backyard) but they usually just eat the young flowers I plant in the spring.

Raccoon? Skunk? Possum?

Nope. Nope. Nope.

Maris got home from a meeting last night around 10 and called to me, asking if I wanted to know what had been digging in my flowers.

Meet Lola.

(Lola was my second choice for Zoey's name.)
Little bugger.
She was just out there digging away, looking for grubs and ants (they eat fire ants...) Now we've got to figure out how to get rid of her before she starts digging up the grass. They can dig up a whole yard in a night.
PS Armadillos are called the "poor man's pig" because they apparently taste a lot like bacon...
Posted by Picasa

18 friends are talking:

Lauren in GA October 8, 2008 at 8:42 AM  

They taste like bacon, huh?

Well...at least Maris hadn't done a really lousy job...it was just Lola. By the way, I love the name Lola!

Anonymous,  October 8, 2008 at 9:20 AM  

Gross - on they taste like bacon. Welcome to Texas, baby! I am glad that you got your mystery solved. They can be very pesky. They are also very fast - I used to chase them on one of my dad's ranch every summer. Quite fun. I never caught one.

My name is Andrea October 8, 2008 at 9:30 AM  

Maris chaseed after it with a hockey puck. THAT'S what I should have gotten a picture of...

Gary Church October 8, 2008 at 10:46 AM  

H.O.L.Y. C.R.A.P.

You know you live in the boonies when armadillos root around in your front yard!!! Whoa. WHOA. You win.

My name is Andrea October 8, 2008 at 10:54 AM  

I mean he CHASED ofter it with a hockey STICK. A PUCK would not be that intimidating, would it now?

Haley October 8, 2008 at 1:23 PM  

That is hilarious! We had an armadillo problem when I was in junior high. We called animal control and they set cages in the bushes, and sure enough, the first morning there it was in all it's scaley hairy glory. NASTY. Don't you just love seeing armadillo road kill too?

InWeighOverMyHead October 8, 2008 at 2:04 PM  

Eeewww! Well, you kow what they say... When in Rome... so I guess all you have to do now is cook it for breakfast! lol

The A Team October 8, 2008 at 4:07 PM  

and now you've seen one alive....aren't they so funny when you chase them?

Brooke October 8, 2008 at 4:08 PM  

I have never seen one alive. I wish they would come eat our ants. I don't mind missing grass. I hate the ant bites my kids and I get :) Okay I probably would get annoyed after awhile.

I have no idea why I didn't think of Dr. Shobe. . . Note to self, don't go back to this dentist! I hope all goes smoothly. I am terrified to get them out. Especially after today. Made childbirth seem easy!

Jess October 8, 2008 at 8:39 PM  

Wow...that is just crazy :) I've never seen a live one. Only tons of dead ones every time I drive down Preston. A few weeks ago we had a skunk moseying through our backyard. Barrett chased it away and luckily it didn't spray :) And I was laughing so hard of the image of your husband running with a hockey PUCK. Even though it didn't happen, it just makes me laugh :)

Bethanne October 9, 2008 at 12:39 AM  

Yikes. But, hey, they get rid of fire ants?

Anonymous,  October 9, 2008 at 8:13 AM  

I swear, things happen to you just so you have fun things to blog! Who else would be lucky enough to get a "Lola" to post about?? I'm so jealous of your poor man's pig.

I think this is the first Lola I have seen alive... and on 4 feet.

Miss ya!!!

LaFish October 9, 2008 at 9:02 AM  

I have lived in TX almost all my life and I don't think I have ever seen a live one in the "wild." I'm surprised that Parker hasn't hit you up to adopt Lola as his pet!

Dan + Laurie Udy October 9, 2008 at 10:24 AM  

I am sure parker will have it as a pet!

Trisha October 9, 2008 at 2:19 PM  

That is just SICK!! Although Charlie went "yep that an armadillo does".. you can tell he is from the south.. then he said..they are fun to hit while you are driving at night, the roll and bounce! Hmmm, good to know. So if you get bored go armadillo bowling for family night.

Anonymous,  October 9, 2008 at 5:11 PM  

What's up with all these non-Texans thinking Lola is gross!? I think she's really cute!

ChellaJ [Rachelle] October 9, 2008 at 11:11 PM  

Seriously, bacon will never be the same. I've never seen one of those lil' guys alive, only roadkill. But, I would buy/rent one to see Maris chasing it with a hockey puck [stick]. Now, that would be entertaining. ;0

Post a Comment

whatcha gotta say?

Quotables

"Other things may change us, but we start and end with family."

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard..." from Annie

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”

-Audrey Hepburn


Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.


"I am one of [Jesus Christ's] witnesses, and in a coming day I shall feel the nail marks in his hands and in his feet and shall wet his feet with my tears. But I shall not know any better then than I know now that he is God's Almighty Son, that he is our Savior and Redeemer, and that salvation comes in and through his atoning blood and in no other way."--Bruce R. McConkie, "The Purifying Power of Gethsemane"


Friends, lurkers and stalkers

Labels

Labels

Aliza (14) baseball (4) basketball (1) blogging (1) Bunco (1) cooking (2) dance (2) dogs (2) family (12) fears (1) field trip (4) football (9) Fourth of July (2) friends (14) fun (2) funny (8) gas (1) girlfriends (1) giveaways (1) Gratitude (1) Halloween (2) kids (16) Lake Ray Roberts (2) Maris (1) Me (18) mom (1) Mother's Day (1) My opinions (1) Nauvoo (7) Parker (19) pets (1) PTO (1) reading (2) recipes (1) school (19) science camp (1) scouts (7) softball (2) summer (19) swimming (3) Texas (8) Thanksgiving (1) TV (2) Twilight (1) Twilight Camp (3) Tyler (20) vacation (15) weather (1) Yellowstone (1)
"...we must be careful, as we seek to become more and more godlike, that we do not become discouraged and lose hope. Becoming Christlike is a lifetime pursuit and very often involves growth and change that is slow, almost imperceptible. The scriptures record remarkable accounts of men whose lives changed dramatically, in an instant... But we must be cautious as we discuss these remarkable examples. Though they are real and powerful, they are the exception more than the rule. For every Paul, for every Enos, and for every King Lamoni, there are hundreds and thousands of people who find the process of repentance much more subtle, much more imperceptible. Day by day they move closer to the Lord, little realizing they are building a godlike life. They live quiet lives of goodness, service, and commitment. They are like the Lamanites, who the Lord said "were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and theyknew it not." (3 Ne. 9:20; italics added.)"--Ezra Taft Benson, "A Mighty Changeof Heart"

  © If the crown fits...

Design by Emporium Digital via Blogspot templates