O Christmas Tree...
Tradition: cutting down our own Christmas tree.
How it is done:
The day after Thanksgiving, after we have pulled out all the leftovers and eaten most of the new fresh batch of homemade rolls with turkey, and put away the "day-after-Thanksgiving-dips," load everyone into the flatbed, the Yukon and whatever trucks are there. If there is a lot of snow, bring a few snow machines. Throw in the sleds, and make sure you are dressed warm.
If more people came than you have tree tags for, stop at the forest office a buy a couple more ($5.00 each...) Drive to Dry Ridge, just over the Wyoming state line.
When you get to the base of the mountain, if there is enough snow, unload the snow machines and head up the mountain, put the other vehicles in 4-wheel drive and determine if they can make it up. A few miles up you will find our special Christmas tree grove. In recent years, others have found it too. Start hiking around, listening for the sound of each other finding trees that look good and yelling, "I think I found one!!" When you actually do find "the one," pull out the ax and proceed to chop it down...
Pose next to the tree to show what a bounty you found...
Now the real fun begins...throw the trees onto the flatbed and tie the sleds to the back of the truck.
Practice balancing. Get ready for the trip back down the hill. Hang on tight! Papa's driving!
One year, my mom and I rode down in the sleds...it's fun until you tip over and fall face first into the ditch on the side of the road.
These pictures are all from 2006, the last year we did this, and the only year I have digital. But we have done this since 1997...
Christmas present:
Wear whatever you had on during the day, probably shorts. Complain when mom says to wear a coat because it has cooled down to the 50's and she is cold.
Go to Lowes (Home Depot's trees aren't as good and cost more.)
Walk past the pansies and other perennials that are being sold next to the trees.
Run in between all the trees. Lay in them. Ignore the dirty looks you are getting from the Lowes guy.






10 friends are talking:
This city kid thinks you country folk have some crazy traditions --- why cut it down when you can just go buy it? ;) I'm actually a little jealous, VERY cool memories for your family!
My hubby is a Utah boy and misses the same tradition. It is beautiful! Think how GOOD those ornaments you and Aliza made with us are gonna look on that DIVINE tree!
Oh I miss Bear!!!
WELCOME to TEXAS! I predict you will be going Fake in a few years:)
Sidra's were real and spectacular, but wasn't it Elaine who said, (go) fake, fake, fake, fake?!
I love your new, "normal" and your old normal, too. That is quite amazing how you found your trees in years past!
I love that cool tree netting thing they use to wrap up trees at the store. I love your tree!
I chuckled at your saying that you should ignore the dirty looks from the Lowe's guy. Sage advice, indeed!
I love a real tree, but sadly we've gone fake....like all the breast in Utah......just sayin'.
love the real and spectacular tree (and the seinfeld reference...). i want a real one so badly but my family is allergic. if i ever wanted a christmas without my dad and sister though....
have a merry christmas opfars, shorts and all!!!
Merry Christmas, Andrea! Just wanted to say that I miss seeing your smiling face every Sunday...
i'm so glad that your keeping it real!
Post a Comment