"
We should not allow our personal values to erode, even if others think we are peculiar. "--President James E. Faust

andreaopfar. Powered by Blogger.

What color is your thumb?

One of the things I can't wait for each year is planting flowers. In Utah, we always had to wait until after Mother's Day to plant, because there was sure to be one last hard freeze before then. I had built up quite the extensive collection of pots to plant in, but Maris said they didn't fit in the truck to come down here and they weren't a priority. Honestly, they didn't fit. So now I have only one pot to plant in...but I get to plant it in APRIL!! Yay!!I'm sure I'll have more...I just can't bring myself to pay full price for them so I wait for sale pots!
I love the color of annuals, so I decided to get a few to plant in our beds in the front. Tyler and Maris like these...
...and the price was *right* so I got them. But I haven't planted them yet.
And I love these little beauties:
When we got home and I started to dig, I totally remember that I hate annuals. At least in the beds. I remember that I only plant perennials in my beds and that is why I like pots, so I can plant annuals. In nice, clean dirt.

The puppies watched from the window, as I planted and Maris mowed and fertilized and poisoned. We are starting on flea control early around here...

I'm afraid it might be too late to start early on weed control, but we're working on it. We are thinking of letting a few in the backyard grow and call them trees. Living on the greenbelt has it's upsides...

Aw, perennials. I love Lantana and this year I got a purple one:

This is a perennial too, I don't know what it is, but it had a cute purple flower on it and that fills all of my requirements. It must be cute and it must be purple.

I hate this Holly Bush. When we moved in and it was here, I thought I loved it. I'm surprised that the builder put it in, because I thik Holly Bushes are expensive, especially big ones. I wish I had a crepe myrtle there instead. It struggled with some kind of bug on it that I finally got rid of last summer (I think it was aphids...) and wasps swarm it constantly because of all the holly flower buds on it.



Remember last year when I got stung by the big reddish brown ugly wasp on my arm and it swelled up to the size of Rhode Island?

THAT is who loves the Holly Bush.


We just try to steer clear of the Holly Bush.

Finally, we dug out that flat bush with no personality and put in this red tipped fiery beauty. It will grow a little taller and we can keep it pruned below the house numbers...


I think I love it already.

In other news:


It was class pictures yesterday and Aliza is beautiful.


Parker is growing Lima beans:

And Tyler is taller than me.
He wasn't 2 weeks ago.


We took the Laurels and Mia Maids to Krispy Kreme last night:


K, before I go, I have to tell you about Parker and the school picture. Do you remember in February when Parker was wearing the red basketball shorts and the red under armor and they were different colors of red, but he likes to dress mono chromatically and it was Valentine's Day, so I let him?
For school pictures yesterday he tried to wear a pair of kelly green basketball shorts and a Prosper green t-shirt that said "Prosper Baseball" or something... I made him go back up (kicking and screaming) to change. He came back down in a pair of light blue basketball shorts and a too small from last year polo shirt that was powdery blue in color...
I can't even remember what we finally settled on, but it was NOT monochromatic and it fit.
The End.

11 friends are talking:

Lisa April 9, 2009 at 9:01 AM  

Aliza does look beautiful, Parker is funny & I can't believe Tyler is now taller than you! I'm glad all is well in good ole' Texas! Can't wait to see you guys again. We miss you.

Amanda April 9, 2009 at 9:08 AM  

YOu have inspired me--thanks for posting this:) we have got to finish planting bushes in our flowerbed this spring and then I need to add some flowers too:) You have given me some good ideas:)

Tiff Gatten April 9, 2009 at 9:36 AM  

You should have let Parker wear what he wanted...it would be a great laugh for years to come.

So happy to see green. I love flowers so much, but I'm tempted not to plant any this year. Things get so busy and they are so much work. I'm like you I have about 20 huge pots that I baby every year...we'll see. Your pot looks beautiful though. I love spring! Oh, and thanks for the birthday wishes. I'm happy to be 40...I was tired of trying to hang on to my youth. :)

Anonymous,  April 9, 2009 at 11:32 AM  

I love planting flowers, I just don't like watering them, so I now buy artificial flowers at HL 1/2 price and they last til fall. :)

You need to plant a garden so you can enjoy a big salad like Elaine.

Juli April 9, 2009 at 3:52 PM  

OK,
First of all - what a great green thumb you have!
2nd - Wow! Tyler is taller than you! I have a sneaking suspicion that is going to happen all to soon to me!
3rd - Aliza is always so beautiful!
And finally, I so wish that I was in YWs and that you were my advisor. So fun!

ChellaJ [Rachelle] April 9, 2009 at 6:23 PM  

I really wish I could plant. I'm so ready. I love Parker and his sense of style. It makes me laugh.

Rick April 9, 2009 at 11:07 PM  

If Tarkter needs some fashion advice I can help him when we move back. Ask my wife if you don't think my fashion sense is like Thomas Jefferson's wine collection-better the older I get!~
Beep beep! (stolen from David Bowie)

Amber Hooten April 10, 2009 at 11:13 AM  

Oh... I miss my flowers. We can't do anything in our house now since we are only renting it. I love the flowers that you planted!

Trisha April 10, 2009 at 11:34 AM  

Andrea I love your posts! You have a gift. That is the most disgusting bug ever!!! AND the Parker story is so funny...you know as a parent you gotta pick your battles; one decent school picture a year is worth fighting for!!

The Moose April 10, 2009 at 10:51 PM  

I LOVE the no name purple flower that you have a pic of - I have 2 of them last year in the back and they grew SOOOO well! I have zinnias too, they also got HUGE last summer! I was out there a bunch tonight trying to save our bush that we transplanted --- we ripped our holly out and put a bush in its place. Remember those white trash neighbors you were talking about who throw everything in the empty lots? Don't come look at the empty lot by us, you MIGHT see a dead holly bush ... hmmm, wonder who put that there.

Lauren in GA April 13, 2009 at 7:53 AM  

My boys can't wait to be taller than I am.

I am going to stunt their growth, somehow...heh, heh, heh....

Post a Comment

whatcha gotta say?

Quotables

"Other things may change us, but we start and end with family."

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard..." from Annie

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”

-Audrey Hepburn


Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.


"I am one of [Jesus Christ's] witnesses, and in a coming day I shall feel the nail marks in his hands and in his feet and shall wet his feet with my tears. But I shall not know any better then than I know now that he is God's Almighty Son, that he is our Savior and Redeemer, and that salvation comes in and through his atoning blood and in no other way."--Bruce R. McConkie, "The Purifying Power of Gethsemane"


Friends, lurkers and stalkers

Labels

Labels

Aliza (14) baseball (4) basketball (1) blogging (1) Bunco (1) cooking (2) dance (2) dogs (2) family (12) fears (1) field trip (4) football (9) Fourth of July (2) friends (14) fun (2) funny (8) gas (1) girlfriends (1) giveaways (1) Gratitude (1) Halloween (2) kids (16) Lake Ray Roberts (2) Maris (1) Me (18) mom (1) Mother's Day (1) My opinions (1) Nauvoo (7) Parker (19) pets (1) PTO (1) reading (2) recipes (1) school (19) science camp (1) scouts (7) softball (2) summer (19) swimming (3) Texas (8) Thanksgiving (1) TV (2) Twilight (1) Twilight Camp (3) Tyler (20) vacation (15) weather (1) Yellowstone (1)
"...we must be careful, as we seek to become more and more godlike, that we do not become discouraged and lose hope. Becoming Christlike is a lifetime pursuit and very often involves growth and change that is slow, almost imperceptible. The scriptures record remarkable accounts of men whose lives changed dramatically, in an instant... But we must be cautious as we discuss these remarkable examples. Though they are real and powerful, they are the exception more than the rule. For every Paul, for every Enos, and for every King Lamoni, there are hundreds and thousands of people who find the process of repentance much more subtle, much more imperceptible. Day by day they move closer to the Lord, little realizing they are building a godlike life. They live quiet lives of goodness, service, and commitment. They are like the Lamanites, who the Lord said "were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and theyknew it not." (3 Ne. 9:20; italics added.)"--Ezra Taft Benson, "A Mighty Changeof Heart"

  © If the crown fits...

Design by Emporium Digital via Blogspot templates