Some must push and some must pull.
On the Monday after the kiddos flew to Idaho, they embarked on a three day trek to Martin's Cove in Wyoming. For those of my friends who are not familiar with a "trek" or "Martin's Cove," I will tell you. In the early days of the Mormon church, the Saints were heavily persecuted and subsequently driven out of every place they went. They finally decided to try to find someplace where they could go and worship without persecution...which is what took them to what is now Utah, which was then outside of the US borders in Mexico. After the initial groups worked their way across the country in covered wagons, they tried to find ways that more could come, especially the ones who had very little in way of material possessions...as some of these members had joined the church in other countries and had spent all they had coming to the US and had very little. They started heading out in groups with handcarts. Yes, walking, while they pushed and pulled the handcarts that carried very little more than food for the journey. The first few companies made it safely, but two handcart companies, the Willie and the Martin companies, left in early October. Then, due to an early winter, many of them suffered from exposure and froze or starved to death. Brigham Young sent out rescue groups as soon as they heard that they were coming and suffering. One group found them in an area now known as Martin's Cove, seeking shelter from the cold and snow. Today, our youth groups go on "Treks" and kindof reenact what these early saints did to ensure that they had a place to worship as they pleased and hopefully get a greater understanding for their sacrifices. They are usually held near to where you live, not the actual places that the handcart companies were.
My mom's ward went on a 3-day trek to the Cove. Morgan took Parker and Aliza with him.
They walked and learned of the stories of the people in the companies and the hardships they faced. They were able to cross the Sweetwater River, which is where many died, as ice was floating down it and they were unable to dry off after crossing. (In the original company, not the one my kids were on!!) Morgan took some fun pictures and the kids had a blast, and came home with a greater love and understanding of the early pioneers.



















8 friends are talking:
Wow, what a great experience. I was never able to do that, but my kiddos sure will.
I love educational, fun adventures! Looks like they had a great time!
what an awesome spiritual and educational thing - much more meaningful than disney
I hope you're kids enjoyed the "journey" and had fun! I went when I was 16.... still one of my most spiritual experiences to this day.
What a great experience your kids had on this trek. And what a great experience you and Tyler will have come March 18th!!! ROR
Seeing this post brought back many memories.... snow, rain, no potties, french bread & peanut butter.....so much fun! :)
It's so good for kids to learn about history and sacrifice. I'm so glad they got to go.
I love your title.
I think that is so amazing. What a fantastic experience for your children. I really would like to go to to Martin's Cove on a trek as a family. I want my kids to, as you said, have an understanding of what the early pioneers suffered.
Hey...I got your sweet message. I am working on a new post...this sweet baby boy keeps me up some nights and I get too tired to write. Hopefully soon ☺
Post a Comment